Since 1988, I've been dedicated to serving others in the helping profession.
I have a wide range of experience working with children, adolescents, individuals, couples and families.
- Private Practice since 2000; individual, adolescent, couples therapy
- Wellspring Family Services; individual, couples, adolescent therapist; supervising therapist
- Seattle Pacific University Counseling Center; therapist for university students
- Ruth Dykeman Children’s Center; residential counselor for abused/neglected children
- Valley Cities Counseling and Consultation; child and family therapist
- South Kitsap School District; junior high school substance abuse intervention specialist
- Ryther Child Center; adolescent inpatient drug and alcohol counselor
Education and Training
I earned a Master of Arts Degree in Existential-Phenomenological Psychology from Seattle University in 1994 and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology and a Certificate in the Addiction Studies Program from Washington State University in 1988.
Because a wide variety of problems requires a wide variety of solutions, I have expertise in the areas of psychodynamic, existential, and cognitive-behavioral therapy.
I value psychodynamic therapy because understanding the unconscious parts of who we are, where we come from, and how we can be in conflict with ourselves and others frees us up to live more vibrantly.
Existential therapy is important to me because I believe that each life has a unique meaning and purpose. Our lives are most fulfilling when we take responsibility to discover that purpose and then live it out courageously.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy is essential because sometimes we need more practical and immediate solutions to the problems we face. We can think, feel, and act our way into some of our worst problems; but, we can also think, feel, and act our way out of them too. Small changes can lead to big results. Because thoughts, feelings, and actions are always connected, if you can change any one of them you can impact the others.
I Have Education, Training, and Supervision in the Following Areas:
- Psychodynamic/Relational Psychotherapy
- Existential/Phenomenological Psychology
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Jungian Psychology
- Attachment Theory
- Gottman Method for Couples
- Emotion Focused Therapy for Couples (EFT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Interpersonal Neurobiology (Dan Siegel's work)
- Addiction, Substance Abuse, Co-dependency
Licensed Mental Health Counselor State of Washington #LH00005549
Professional affiliation: Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study
PAPERS and PRESENTATIONS
- Saving Face, On Technology and Why Real Love is Becoming Virtually Impossible (paper presented at the Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study Forum and at the Seattle University Psychology for the Other Conference)
- Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Mindfulness Stradegies for Anxiety and Depression (Wellspring Family Services training/presentation)
- Addiction: From Desperate Desires to Legitimate Longing (University of Washington School of Social Work guest lecture)
- The Promise of Unkept Promises (Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study Forum Quarterly article on grief and loss)
- Tending to Secret Gardens, Discoveries at the Apex of Disclosure (paper presentation, Wellspring Family Services on grief and loss)
- Father's First Steps (developed and facilitated an educational/support group where new dads come with their new babies to learn about fathering, love, and attachment)
- Men and Depression (interview with KBCS radio -- Bellevue College)
- Postpartum Depression in Men (interviewed for ParentMap Magazine article)
- Baby’s Home! How to Keep Love and Intimacy in Your Relationship (Guest speaker/panelist for ParentMap sponsored event for new parents)
- Introduction to Psychology (Seattle Pacific University guest lecture series)
- Therapeutic Communication (Seattle University Masters in Psychology guest lecture)
- Love's Labors Misplaced, Counter-Transference and the Kink Friendly Therapist (paper presented for the Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study and for the Pacific Northwest Psychoanalytic Society )
- Sex and Counter-Transference (presentation for Wellspring Family Services on working with sexual issues as a therapist)
- The Experience of Longing (Masters Thesis, Seattle University)
How can I help? Schedule your first session or set up a free phone consultation.